In order to satisfy skilled worker shortages, the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) has laid out specific basic requirements for prospective applicants who are interested in applying under the Skilled Migration Program.
To qualify for skilled migration, applicants (or their partner) must be able to satisfy the basic visa requirements related to age, qualification, work experience, English language ability, health and character. In addition, applicants for a Skilled Regional Sponsored visa (Subclass 489) must obtain sponsorship from a participating State or Territory government and qualifies points test.
The current minimum assessment score for the Skilled Regional Sponsored visa (Subclass 489) is 65 points.
To be sponsored by a relative, an applicant’s relative must live in a Specified Regional Area of Australia* and be either:
- an Australian citizen;
- an Australian permanent resident; or
- an eligible New Zealand citizen.
The applicant (or their spouse) must be related to their sponsor as either:
- a non-dependent child – including a natural, adoptive or step-child;
- a parent – including adoptive or step-parent;
- a brother or sister – including adoptive or step-siblings;
- a niece or nephew – including adoptive or step-niece or nephew; or
- an aunt or uncle – including adoptive or step-aunt or uncle.
As a general indication, the following areas are considered regional:
- Victoria – everywhere except the Melbourne metropolitan area; and
- New South Wales – everywhere except Sydney, Newcastle, the Central Coast and Wollongong;
- Queensland – everywhere except the greater Brisbane area and the Gold Coast;
- South Australia – everywhere
- Tasmania – everywhere
- Western Australia – everywhere.
- Northern Territory – everywhere;
To be nominated by a State or Territory government, applicants must satisfy specific criteria, as set by the particular State or Territory. These may include:
- having an occupation on the skills shortage list in that State or Territory; or
- demonstrating specialized skills in an area of need.